KKR invests in NVC Lighting

KKR has agreed to set up a strategic partnership with NVC Lighting and acquire a majority interest in NVC Lighting’s China Lighting Business (NVC China) for a total equity value of approximately USD794 million. 

Following the completion of the transaction, KKR will own 70 per cent of NVC China and NVC Lighting will hold the remaining 30 per cent and receive a cash consideration.

NVC China is a leading lighting company in China, manufacturing, selling and distributing branded lighting products and providing lighting solutions to consumers and business clients through a robust distribution network across China.

Paul Yang, Member and Head of KKR Greater China, says: “China’s lighting market has experienced tremendous momentum over the past 20 years and continues to develop as technology advances and next generation products come online. NVC China is an industry leader with an extensive distribution network, well-known brand name and strong product design capabilities. We look forward to working together with NVC China’s talented management team to support their long-term growth plan, as well as contributing to the overall development of China’s lighting industry and deepening KKR’s commitment to the market.”

Wang Donglei, Chairman of the Board of NVC Lighting, says: “Our Board conducted a comprehensive sales process, assisted by financial and legal advisors. We are pleased that this robust process has produced an outstanding outcome for our shareholders, who will maintain minority ownership in NVC China as well as full ownership of NVC Lighting’s international business and its non-lighting business in China, and receive a compelling cash consideration for their shares. We believe we have found a partner in KKR who shares our conviction in the opportunity for NVC China and will contribute resources and operational expertise to support the long-term development of the business.”

NVC China will continue to commit to the China market and focus on addressing the increasing demand of Chinese consumers and business clients for high-quality lighting products. The support of KKR’s resources and operational expertise will enable the business to undertake a long-term growth strategy that is also supported by China’s ongoing consumption, industrial and commercial upgrades, as well as the promotion of environmental protection and energy conservation. These trends underpin healthy long-term sector growth for the lighting industry in China, and NVC China will invest in its business to ensure the NVC brand stays ahead as a technology and business model innovator.

Author Profile